Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 7:49 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 7:49 pm Central - 25°C Rain

Serua/Namosi Subdivisional Outbreak Response Team at the forefront of response to measles outbreak - Health Ministry

Serua/Namosi Subdivisional Outbreak Response Team at the forefront of response to measles outbreak - Health Ministry

By Iva Danford
02/12/2019

The Health Ministry says the Serua/Namosi Subdivisional Outbreak Response Team is at the forefront of the response to the measles outbreak since it was declared on the 7th of last month.

The Ministry says the team has been responding by rapidly isolating cases, quarantine and post-exposure vaccination for contacts or going door to door for mass vaccination of the at-risk communities.

It says the team has worked day and night and is sometimes trekking, camping, and crossing rivers on foot to reach people in some of the most remote communities.

Meanwhile, the batch of 200,000 measles vaccines has arrived in the country with the second phase of the immunisation campaign set to roll out from Wednesday.

The Ministry of Health has acknowledged the assistance provided by UNICEF and the Australian and New Zealand governments in securing the vaccines for Fiji.

The Ministry says that across Fiji, the immunisation campaign will target any child who has not received 2 doses of a measles vaccine, any child aged 12 and 18 months who is scheduled for their routine measles immunisation, any person in Fiji travelling overseas, all health care workers and all airport and hotel staff.

The Ministry of Health says that in the Central Division only, the campaign will also target all children aged 6 months to 5 years, all people born between 1980 to 2000 (19 years to 39 years) and all residents of Serua/Namosi aged 6 months and older. 

The Central Division is prioritized for this phase of the campaign as all confirmed cases to date are in this Division and the focus remains on containing the current outbreak.

It says the other Divisions will be targeted once more vaccine supplies arrive into the country.

Already close to 100,000 people around the country have been vaccinated in phase one of the immunisation campaign and this includes over 18,000 people in the outbreak area of Serua/Namosi.

The confirmed number of measles cases still stands at 14.

The Ministry adds that pregnant women, babies under the age of 6 months, those with a compromised immune system and those with a known allergy to the vaccine should not be vaccinated.

FEATURE NEWS
PM says allegations against Acting FICAC Commissioner have to be investigated
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka says the allegations of nepotism against the Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika have to be investigated, and the ...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
12 minutes ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
3 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
3 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
4 hours ago

Vuibereta to take plea in High Court over alleged bail breaches
Lui Bale Vuibureta, also known as XKON, is set to take his plea in the Suva High Court on the 6th of next month.Vuibureta appeared before Justice ...
4 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP