The National measles immunisation campaign, which was temporarily suspended on 27th of last month due to Tropical Cyclone Sarai, will restart in all divisions next Monday.
The Ministry of Health says the campaign will continue to target people who are most at risk of being infected by measles and spreading the disease adding since the outbreak was declared in November last year, around 328,000 people in Fiji have been immunised against measles.
The Ministry says to date all confirmed cases of measles have been within the Central Division, and as of 24th of last month over 200,000 people in this division have been vaccinated.
The Health Ministry revealed the Central Division has also reached the goal of 95 per cent vaccination coverage during the campaign for the target groups of 6 month to 5 year olds and 19 to 39 year olds.
It says with time, reaching this coverage goal is expected to result in a reduction of cases and an eventual end to the outbreak in the Central Division.
Vaccination for the target groups will still be offered at health centres in the Central Division, and also used in response to newly reported cases.
There are now 27 confirmed cases of measles in the country.
The latest confirmed cases are of a 12-year-old from Sakoca in Tacirua who is linked to a previous case in the same area, and a 39-year-old from Nasole in Nasinu who was admitted at the CWM Hospital and later discharged.
The 3-month-old baby who was earlier reported to have measles is still admitted at the CWM Hospital.
The Western, Northern, and Eastern Divisions will continue the measles immunisation campaign with the aim of vaccinating at least 95 per cent of people in the target groups.
Ministry of Health says their teams will continue to work to reach every person eligible for the vaccine through house to house visits, at health centres, and immunisation outreach posts.
Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations