21st February 06:24 AM
Fire that claimed two lives in Tamasua Street started from the sitting room - NFA
By Dhanjay Deo
Monday 10/02/2020

The National Fire Authority has established that the fire that took the lives of an elderly couple in Tamasua Street in Nailuva Road in Suva had started from the sitting room of the house.

The incident happened last month.

Chief Fire Officer, Qionilau Moceitai says they are now waiting for results from Fiji Police Force's Forensic Department in relation to samples that were collected at the fire scene.

He says they will be able to establish the cause of the fire once they receive the results.

79-year-old Kuar Singh and his 74-year-old wife, Ambalika Singh lost their lives in the fire that destroyed the top flat of their two-storey house.

The couple were trapped in the house when the fire started at about 10.30pm.

There are reports that the door of their flat was padlocked from inside.

It was reported that the 79-year-old man was bedridden while his 74-year-old wife was taking care of him.

It was also stated by eyewitnesses that the fire was quite widespread in the house within minutes.

Pacific Specialist Healthcare
Listen to the latest news on our 5 radio stations Legend FM, Viti FM, Radio Sargam, FM96 and Navtarang.
CFL Radio Frequencies
 
IN DEPTH
 
LATEST NEWS