FLP calls on SOE to act in an independent and fair manner
Saneem will not make any further comments

FLP calls on SOE to act in an independent and fair manner

Saneem will not make any further comments

By Navitalai Naivalurua , Vijay Narayan
Saturday 15/10/2022

Fiji Labour Party Leader Mahendra Chaudhry says the Fijian Elections Office cannot hide behind the actions of opposition parties and not report the FijiFirst Party to FICAC for breach of election laws. Chaudhry was responding to an unsigned comment from FEO that it will not make further comments on the FijiFirst banner issue because two opposition parties had already taken the matter to FICAC.

He says they are not asking FEO to comment but for them to act.

He adds the fact that two political parties have reported the case to FICAC does not absolve the Supervisor of Elections, Mohammed Saneem, from carrying out the proper functions of his office.

The Labour Leader says clearly an offence was committed by FijiFirst under Section 112(3) of the Electoral Act when it put up material on a public building in central Suva.

He says Saneem cannot ignore this and must report the matter to FICAC regardless of what action opposition parties take on their own volition.

Chaudhry says they expect him as holder of a constitutional office, to act in an independent, fair and impartial manner.

He further says that the SOE must take action without any further delay, with the same vigour he employs in reporting opposition parties to FICAC.

He adds that he is still waiting for an official reply from the SOE to his initial letter of complaint regarding the FijiFirst poster and despite several reminders, Saneem has still not done so.

He is reminding Saneem that he is a public servant paid by the taxpayers and he is obligated to carry out the functions of his office without fear or favour.

Chaudhry says there can be no double standards under the law.

Meanwhile, responding to the statement by FLP, Saneem says since the matter regarding the FijiFirst campaign material on the Suva City Council carpark has already been referred to FICAC, the Fijian Elections Office will not make any further comments on the issue.

Saneem says the FEO had given FijiFirst until 4pm yesterday, to remove the banner that was placed on the Suva Civic carpark.

The FEO has received confirmation from the SCC as well as FijiFirst that the banner was removed on Wednesday.

The Supervisor says following that, the FEO has been copied in letters by the Fiji Labour Party and the National Federation Party where it is noted that both these parties have already reported this incident to FICAC.

FICAC confirm they received the complaint against FijiFirst earlier this week.

FEATURE NEWS
Sanjay Kaba granted temporary uplift of stop departure order for work travel
A temporary uplift of stop departure order has been granted to Managing Director of Houng Lee Kaba Jacob Limited and former Director of Telecom Fiji L...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Tira Welagi is Fiji 7s captain for Singapore as captain Jeremaia Matana out due to injury
The Fiji Airways Men’s National 7s team has retained most of the players from the Hong Kong 7s tournament last week as they hope to improve on ...
13 minutes ago

Rheumatic heart surgeries need to continue at CWM Hospital – Dr Kapadia
Renowned General and Interventional Cardiologist Dr Vijay Kapadia, based at the Gold Coast University Hospital in Australia, has stressed the need ...
22 minutes ago

4 people still admitted at CWM Hospital after Queen Elizabeth Drive accident
4 occupants of the vehicle that was involved in an accident along the Queen Elizabeth Drive yesterday are still admitted at the CWM ...
53 minutes ago

Rainfall recorded in Vatukacevaceva, Waimanu, Monasavu hydro and Korovou surpasses 50mm
Fijians living in and along Vatukacevaceva in Ra, Waimanu and Monasavu Hydro in Naitasiri and Korovou in Tailevu should continue to be cautious as ...
1 hour ago

Man in his 60’s dies following accident in Nasinu last night
A man in his 60’s has died following a road accident in Nasinu last night. Police say the man while crossing the Yasiyasi Road near the Valelevu ...
2 hours ago



fijivillage Straight Talk with Vijay Narayan
Latest Videos

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Swire Shipping Fijian Drua Coach, Glen Jackson appear on fijivillage Straight Talk With Vijay Narayan
Swire Shipping Fijian Drua Coach, Glen Jackson appeared on fijivillage Straight Talk With Vijay Narayan from the Drua base in Nadi. Coming off ...
58 minutes ago

Reverend Tugi on fijivillage Straight Talk With Vijay Narayan
Watch the General Secretary of Fiji Evangelical Fellowship, Reverend Simione Tugi on fijivillage Straight Talk With Vijay ...
35 days ago

fijivillage Straight Talk with Vijay Narayan and William Parkinson
Chairman of Communications Fiji Limited, parent company of FM96, LegendFM, VitiFM, Navtarang, Radio Sargam, fijivillage and PNGFM, William Parkinson ...
36 days ago

TOP