Fijivillage
NEWS SPORTS
ACCF
ACCF

21 confirmed cases of measles in Fiji

21 confirmed cases of measles in Fiji

By Priteshni Nand
Saturday 14/12/2019

There are now 21 confirmed cases of measles in Fiji.

The Health Ministry says the latest confirmed cases are a 13-year-old child from Nasilai Village in Nakelo, Rewa and a 27-year old from Saumakia Village in Naitasiri.

The Ministry says the latest confirmed cases are both contacts of previously confirmed measles cases in those villages.

It says the Rewa and Naitasiri outbreak response teams have carried out the necessary interventions including isolation of cases, quarantine, and vaccination of contacts and at-risk communities.

It confirms that the 9-month-old baby from Davuilevu who also stayed at Saumakia Settlement in Naitasiri is still admitted under isolation at CWM Hospital in a stable condition.

The 21 cases to date are from the following areas in the Central Division:

-12 cases from the Serua/Namosi Subdivision (Wailali, Wainadoi, Navunikabi, and Makosoi Deuba)

-4 cases from Suva Subdivision (Samabula, Vatuwaqa, Tacirua, Wailekutu).

-4 cases from Rewa Subdivision (Koronivia, Nasilai Village Nakelo, Davuilevu).

-1 case from Naitasiri Subdivision (Saumakia Village)

Measles is a highly contagious disease; therefore, non-essential travel to Serua/Namosi and Nasilai Village in Nakelo is strongly discouraged, as are mass gatherings in these areas. The Ministry advises that it will not support and has not supported any requests to condone mass gatherings in these locations.

The Head of Health Protection at the Ministry of Health, Dr. Aalisha Sahukhan says the Measles Vaccination Campaign begun in the Western and Eastern Divisions yesterday.

Sahukhan says the vaccination campaign in the North will begin next Monday.

The Ministry of Health teams is also going to settlements to immunise people in the target groups.

Vaccination booths will be open from 9 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday and 9 am to 3 pm on Saturday and Sunday in all locations in the West.

Sahukhan says over 200,000 people have been vaccinated against measles since the outbreak was declared.

The national campaign will continue to target people who are most at risk of being infected by measles and spreading the disease.

Sahukhan adds that pregnant women, babies under the age of 6 months, those with a compromised immune system and those with a known allergy to the vaccine should not be vaccinated.

She says people aged 40 and over will not be vaccinated as they are likely to have had measles as a child and therefore have life-long immunity.

The campaign will continue in the Central Division and the Ministry is aiming to vaccinate all the target groups by Christmas.

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Budget Debate 2020 - 2021
Members of parliament will deliver their response to the 2020/2021 National Budget. 2020-2021 Budget ResourcesAddressEstimatesSupplementRevenue ...
11 days ago

National Budget 2020-2021
Full coverage of 2020-2021 National Budget including budget consultation from different sectors. Major changes announced in the 2020/2021 ...
24 days ago

SODELPA spectacle
With SODELPA going through changes and opposition within the party, we give you all the stories that covered these ...
35 days ago
FEATURE NEWS
CCTV cameras to be installed in Nausori Town to fight illegal drug trade and prostitution
CCTV cameras will soon be installed in locations around Nausori Town to help Police deal with growing concerns about the increasing number of criminal...
6 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Kai Veikau Kava providing 1 month training program for people who are jobless after COVID-19 and interested in starting up kava farms
Commercial kava producer, Kai Veikau Kava is providing a one month training program for people from the ages of 18 to 30 years who have lost their ...
3 hours ago

Travel bubble talks continue however discussions are quite delicate - AG
Minister for Economy, Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum says talks continue with Australia and New Zealand about the travel bubble however the talks are at a ...
4 hours ago

Trial of man who allegedly stabbed wife in Walu Bay to begin next year
The trial of a 34-year-old man who allegedly murdered his 34-year-old wife in Walu Bay last year will begin in June next year. Luke Nasetava ...
4 hours ago

Govt will assist those people who have lost their jobs due to COVID-19 and whose FNPF funds are now depleted - AG
Minister for Economy, Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum says the government will step in to pay $220 a fortnight as part of the unemployment benefit to any FNPF ...
4 hours ago

Fiji nominates Ratu Inoke Kubuabola to be Secretary-General of the Pacific Islands Forum
Fiji’s seasoned diplomat and former Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ratu Inoke Kubuabola has been nominated as Fiji’s candidate for the position of ...
5 hours ago

TOP