Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 7:47 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 7:47 pm Central - 25°C Rain

21 confirmed cases of measles in Fiji

21 confirmed cases of measles in Fiji

By Priteshni Nand
14/12/2019

There are now 21 confirmed cases of measles in Fiji.

The Health Ministry says the latest confirmed cases are a 13-year-old child from Nasilai Village in Nakelo, Rewa and a 27-year old from Saumakia Village in Naitasiri.

The Ministry says the latest confirmed cases are both contacts of previously confirmed measles cases in those villages.

It says the Rewa and Naitasiri outbreak response teams have carried out the necessary interventions including isolation of cases, quarantine, and vaccination of contacts and at-risk communities.

It confirms that the 9-month-old baby from Davuilevu who also stayed at Saumakia Settlement in Naitasiri is still admitted under isolation at CWM Hospital in a stable condition.

The 21 cases to date are from the following areas in the Central Division:

-12 cases from the Serua/Namosi Subdivision (Wailali, Wainadoi, Navunikabi, and Makosoi Deuba)

-4 cases from Suva Subdivision (Samabula, Vatuwaqa, Tacirua, Wailekutu).

-4 cases from Rewa Subdivision (Koronivia, Nasilai Village Nakelo, Davuilevu).

-1 case from Naitasiri Subdivision (Saumakia Village)

Measles is a highly contagious disease; therefore, non-essential travel to Serua/Namosi and Nasilai Village in Nakelo is strongly discouraged, as are mass gatherings in these areas. The Ministry advises that it will not support and has not supported any requests to condone mass gatherings in these locations.

The Head of Health Protection at the Ministry of Health, Dr. Aalisha Sahukhan says the Measles Vaccination Campaign begun in the Western and Eastern Divisions yesterday.

Sahukhan says the vaccination campaign in the North will begin next Monday.

The Ministry of Health teams is also going to settlements to immunise people in the target groups.

Vaccination booths will be open from 9 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday and 9 am to 3 pm on Saturday and Sunday in all locations in the West.

Sahukhan says over 200,000 people have been vaccinated against measles since the outbreak was declared.

The national campaign will continue to target people who are most at risk of being infected by measles and spreading the disease.

Sahukhan adds that pregnant women, babies under the age of 6 months, those with a compromised immune system and those with a known allergy to the vaccine should not be vaccinated.

She says people aged 40 and over will not be vaccinated as they are likely to have had measles as a child and therefore have life-long immunity.

The campaign will continue in the Central Division and the Ministry is aiming to vaccinate all the target groups by Christmas.

FEATURE NEWS
PM says allegations against Acting FICAC Commissioner have to be investigated
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka says the allegations of nepotism against the Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika have to be investigated, and the ...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
10 minutes ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
3 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
3 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
4 hours ago

Vuibereta to take plea in High Court over alleged bail breaches
Lui Bale Vuibureta, also known as XKON, is set to take his plea in the Suva High Court on the 6th of next month.Vuibureta appeared before Justice ...
4 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP