A Norwegian woman has died after contracting rabies from a stray puppy in the Philippines.
The 24-year-old was on holiday with friends when they found the puppy on a street.
BBC reports the puppy is thought to have infected her when it bit her after they took it back to their resort.
She fell ill soon after returning to Norway, and died on Monday at the hospital where she worked.
It is the first rabies‑related death in Norway for more than 200 years.
Rabies is treatable but, if left untreated, it can cause a life‑threatening infection of the brain and nervous system in humans.
The disease kills thousands of people every year, mostly in Asia and Africa, where it is prevalent.