Fijivillage
16 February, 2026, 2:39 pm
Central - 32°C Rain
16 February, 2026, 2:39 pm Central - 32°C Rain

Investigation underway over death of a baby at Nausori Health Centre

Investigation underway over death of a baby at Nausori Health Centre

By Sharon Dipitika and Filipe Naikaso
29/04/2016
Minister for Health Jone Usamate

An investigation is underway in relation to the death of a baby boy at the Nausori Health Centre earlier this week.

Minister for Health Jone Usamate said the issue has been raised with him and they regret the unfortunate incident.

A couple had taken their 9-month-old baby to the CWM Hospital on Tuesday night as the child had difficulty in breathing.

The father of the baby, Alvin Chandra Krishan said when they arrived at the hospital, they were attended to by a nurse who put their baby on nebulizer.

Krishan said that after a few minutes, their baby’s condition worsened.

He said they complained to the nurse and were only informed that the doctor is attending to another patient.

He also claimed that after half an hour, they were informed that there were no doctors available.

Krishan said they could not afford to take their baby to a private doctor.

They rushed their child to the Nausori Health Center but it was too late as their baby passed away.

FEATURE NEWS
Woman to appear in court for alleged explosives and drugs possession
A woman in her 30s will appear in court today for alleged unlawful possession of explosives as she was allegedly found with a non-lethal device used...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ratu Naiqama urges landowners to align development with national priorities
The Government is calling for unity among landowners, institutions, and communities to ensure land and natural resources are used productively, ...
2 hours ago

Swami Vivekananda ex-scholars calls for mandatory school bag checks and sniffer dogs at bus stops
The Swami Vivekananda Ex-Scholars Association is calling on all schools to introduce daily mandatory bag checks, including checks of shoes, to ...
2 hours ago

Calls made for permanent Police post after thefts at Bau Landing
A wave of thefts and break-ins at Bau Landing has prompted renewed calls from residents for a permanent police presence in the area.In a social media ...
2 hours ago

Police warn Wailevu villagers not to enter school, government premises without authorisation
Villagers in Wailevu, Cakaudrove are being reminded to respect their school compound and government stations, as these are government properties that ...
2 hours ago

XKON remanded for breaching bail conditions
Lui Bale Vuibureta, also known as XKON, has been remanded once again for breaching his bail conditions. Vuibureta is charged with three counts of ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
10 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
10 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
11 days ago

TOP