22nd March 06:19 PM
At least 30 people killed after terrorists attacked two mosques in Christchurch
By Naveel Krishant
Friday 15/03/2019
Police at the shooting in Christchurch

Stuff.co.nz is reporting that at least 30 people have been killed after terrorists attacked two mosques in Christchurch.

New Zealand Police say that four suspects are in custody while others are on the run.

One of the terrorists livestreamed the attack for 17 minutes.

The shooter identified himself as "Brenton Tarrant" a 28‑year‑old Australian‑born man.

Canterbury Police say it was working to have the footage removed from social media.

News.com.au reports that Tarrant noted he was born to a working class, low‑income family who decided to take a stand to ensure a future for his people. He said he carried out the attack to “directly reduce immigration rates to European lands”.

Tarrant revealed he had been planning an attack for up to two years, noting he decided on Christchurch three months ago.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says it is clear that this is one of New Zealand's darkest days.

She says this is an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.

Ardern says many of those in the mosque were likely to be migrants ‑ but they were New Zealanders adding the shooter was not. She adds there is no place in New Zealand for extreme violence.

The Guardian is reporting police as saying there was a car bomb on Strickland Street in Christchurch.

The bomb was located inside a car that crashed on the street, about 3km from the Al Noor Mosque where the shooting took place.

Stay with us for updates.

MH Moneygram

Pacific Specialist Healthcare
Listen to the latest news on our 5 radio stations Legend FM, Viti FM, Radio Sargam, FM96 and Navtarang.
CFL Radio Frequencies
 
MOST POPULAR