23rd May 08:59 PM
Tragic start of the year for villagers in Somosomo, Gau
By Rusiate Baleilevuka
Friday 06/01/2017
Villagers of Somosomo Gau bury the four that died of fish poisoning. Source: Facebook

It is a tragic start of the year for the people of Somosomo in Gau Island as they buried three of their village elders and a visitor yesterday.

The four who died from fish poisoning on Tuesday are said to have eaten Daniva for lunch which has forced the Ministry of Health to put a ban on the consumption of some fish in the Lomaiviti group.

Somosomo village nurse, Miriama Ledua says it was a sad day for the family members of the four men and it was the first time for them to go through four funerals in one day.

The four are Sekove Vadei, Akariva Malumu, Manasa Buka and Apolosa.

Apolosa who was from Taveuni and residing in Nadi was on a visit to Somosomo when the incident happened.

Meanwhile, Ministry of Health says that situation is under control.

The Ministry is conducting investigations to ascertain the total number of people who have eaten Daniva.

Any patient who appears to be at risk is being carefully monitored and treated as required.

The priority for the Ministry at this stage is to ensure that all those affected are treated appropriately.

Pacific Specialist Healthcare
Listen to the latest news on our 5 radio stations Legend FM, Viti FM, Radio Sargam, FM96 and Navtarang.
CFL Radio Frequencies