The Prime Minister and President of Fiji Rugby Union Voreqe Bainimarama has announced that Nadi will host a leg of the World Seven’s Series if the bid proposal to World Rugby is successful.
Bainimarama made this announcement at the Fiji rugby Union awards Gala dinner at the Sheraton Fiji Resort in Denarau.
He says this includes the transformation of Prince Charles Park into a rugby amphitheatre, FRU's Field of Dreams, where a temporary infrastructure will deliver a 20,000 capacity venue.
The Prime Minister says that the bid is based on hosting the event in Nadi, accessing the glorious Denarau hotels and facilities, capitalising on the short distances between airports, hotels, match and training venues to make the Fiji leg genuinely a unique event from a player experience perspective.
He says FRU's bid outlines plans to mount a unique and successful leg of the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, and demonstrates clearly that Fiji is ready and able to take its place on the HSBC circuit.
Bainimarama says FRU is bidding for a combined Men's and Women's tournament.
He says FRU is prepared to host either a standalone event in Fiji or to twin with another Host Union, and has proposed that its Tournament leg be the opening event of the HSBC Series each year putting Fiji, as the spiritual home of Sevens, firmly in the spotlight.
FRU Chairman Francis Kean says they have left no stone unturned in the preparation of the bid and believe they have, with the leaders of the bid team Brian Thorburn and Greg Peters, put together a very credible and compelling proposal.
- 2017 7s Player of the Year Award - Kalione Nasoko
- 2017 XV player of the year - Leone Nakarawa was named the.
- Drua player of the Year - Mosese Voka
- Local player of the year award - Mosese Voka
- Referee of the Year Award - Tevita Rokovereni
- Administrator of the Year Award - Rewa rugby's Petero
- Coach of the Year Award - Suva coach Saiasi Fuli
- Team of the year Award - Nadroga Rugby
- U20 player of the Year Award - Temo Mayanavanua
- Women's XV player of the year - Mere Moto